Our San Antonio Christmas Countdown 2012Friday, December 14, 2012
What? There are 11 days until Christmas?!
I have no idea where the time went, but here it is...our 2012 San Antonio Christmas Countdown!
In our home, I create a countdown to Christmas with some jute, scrapbook paper and clothespins. I number the days and use post it notes behind the day for activities, or attach a little wrapped candy or trinket.
One of the great things about a countdown calendar is that the activities are hidden, so if something pops up and you need to do a switcheroo, the kids may never know! And now that the kids can read, I be sure to attach the post it note for the next day before I go to bed.
Here is our list of advent activities that you can still do with you kids!
- Read from the Children's Bible about the birth of Jesus and put out Nativity set
- Decorate Christmas tree
- Write a letter to Santa
- A Wonderland Christmas at Morgan's Wonderland (NEW! Friday and Saturdays)
- Christmas Celebration at Sea World San Antonio
- Make Hot Chocolate with marshmallows and watch a Christmas movie
- Take Family to Hill Country Holidays at the Westin La Cantera
- Visit the Riverwalk, Rio River Tour and tree in front of the Alamo
- Make and decorate cookies
- Make personalized mugs for grandparents using sharpies via A Beautiful Mess
- Dinosaur Stampede at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens - Till 12/31
- School Holiday party
- Drive around to see Christmas lights
- "Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" at the Magik Theatre till 12/22
- Light the Way at Incarnate Word University thru Jan. 6th
- Jingle Bell Jubilee at your local library - MySApl Calendar
- Visit the new Kidde Park at the Pica Pica Plaza
- Make snowflakes to hang in the house from old magazines via Sturdy for Common Things blog
- Game Night
- Make some baked goods for teacher/neighbor gifts - via Tasty Kitchen
- Decorate a roll of craft paper that we will use for family's gifts
Some Tips for a smooth countdown:
- Check out Pinterest for craft ideas
- DVR some holiday specials or holiday movies instead of buying dvds
- Incorporate school, church and community activities in your list
- Keep it simple and stress-free! Don't lose the meaning of the holidays :)
- And check out simplemom.net and their Plan Your Peaceful Christmas series
Hope you get to make some great memories before the big day!